SSB Voice Radio Nets Marine Weather Reports
Vessel-specific weather forecast & routing advice, mornings (except Sundays), via SSB Voice Radio or simultaneous Internet Webcast.
"Nets". At the beginning of each Net, I pass emergency traffic to & from vessels, then move on to weather, starting with a 5 minute broadcast of current conditions and weather forecast for the target geographical area.
Then I open the Net up to subscribing vessels. Subscribing vessels wishing to receive a weather forecast say their boat's name on the SSB radio. When I hear your vessel's name, I call your vessel name for traffic. You should respond by telling me:
- Where you are (a common place name or a Latitude/Longitude). If giving Lat/Lon, please give in the form: Degrees-Minutes of Latitude, followed by Degrees-Minutes of Longitude. If I have trouble copying you, PLEASE give me just the Degrees of Latitude & Longitude (NO Minutes!).
- (Optional) Wind speed & direction, and weather-related observations you feel are important to convey.
- Your weather-related question. PLEASE BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE. General questions take forever to answer and do not serve anyone's purpose. I can answer your SPECIFIC question in a brief time, and you'll have a more-useful answer.
- Typically, you will tell me WHERE you are planning to go AND WHEN.
- If your question is more-specific, please say something like "I just want to know if I might see W wind at Cat Island Thursday night?"
- Anything else I should know about before giving you my forecast (such as equipment problems, hard deadline schedules, the need for particularly-mild weather, etc).
After I give you my forecast, I encourage you to ask questions. While we do not always have time for off-topic discussions, when time allows I welcome all questions. If you have a question, many others probably have a similar question.
SSB Receive-only? Difficulty hearing me (or being heard by me)?
- Try Webcasts (info below).
- Feel free to ask for a relay. You may want to line-up a relay ahead of time, but either you or I may call for a relay during a Net if we are unable to communicate directly.
- If I have trouble copying you, email me the above information PLUS which Net you'll be listening on, and I'll broadcast a forecast for you on that Net. Unfortunately, we won't have a 2-way conversation/discussion, but at-least you'll get my vessel-specific forecast. It's best if you email me within about 12-hours before the morning Nets, so your information is fresh, and at the top of my Inbox.
- I do work with vessels with varying/limited ability to communicate (just a handheld SSB receiver). At the very least, provide the above information (where you are / where you're going & when / which Net you'll listen on), and I'll broadcast your weather forecast daily until you contact me telling me you've arrived safely. If you have ANY means to provide me with updates underway (such as SPOT, test message via sat phone, hail another boat on the VHF & ask them to get info to me) – any updates help.
Schedule: Nets conducted 6 days/week, Monday through Saturday.
Anywhere you can hear me on the SSB – typically throughout the entire Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, Pacific Coast of C America, Bahamas, entire US E Coast, Bermuda, and Atlantic waters N of the Equator in the area W of about 50W Longitude.
Whether you're at home in Colorado, or on your boat in an urban area, you may be unable to hear me on the SSB Nets. It is at just these times when you're likely to have a decent Internet connection, and our simultaneous Webcasts of SSB Voice Nets are the perfect solution! Webcasts run during each SSB Net.
I am glad to be your point of contact for emergency traffic from loved ones back home. My contact info: phone 863-248-2702, email firstname.lastname@example.org
SSB Voice Nets (including Webcast access) are available based on daily, monthly, and yearly subscription fees.
If I have a weather question, can I email or call Chris?
I try my best every day to answer email & phone questions from clients. But my time is limited, and I can not promise to answer all questions in a timely fashion. If you require a timely answer, purchase a Custom Forecast by email or telephone – you can purchase these online or by calling or emailing me.
Listen to a sample SSB Net below: